To ensure you are fully informed and prepared, please review our instructions for your child’s pre-operative and discharge care in advance of your child’s procedure. If you have any questions, please contact your surgery center directly.
For safety reasons, your child’s surgery may be rescheduled for another day if these instructions are not followed.
- Please confirm your child’s appointment when you receive appointment reminders/confirmations 2 weeks prior to your child’s procedure date. It is imperative that you confirm your child’s appointment, failure to do so may lead to cancellation.
- The arrival time will be given the day before your scheduled surgery. Please note, this time indicates your arrival time. This is not the scheduled start time of your child’s surgery. Your arrival time may be a few hours before your surgery time to help ensure that the patient is fully prepared.
- A nurse from the surgery center will be calling one week before your child’s surgery to review your child’s medical background. It is imperative you speak with the nurse, if you do not review your child’s medical background with a nurse, your child’s surgery will be canceled.
- A parent MUST stay at the surgery center at all times while your child is being cared for.
- What your child can drink prior to surgery: Clear liquids 2 hours prior to surgery this includes water and pulp-free juice, Non-human milk (6) hours prior to surgery, Human Milk (4) hours prior to surgery
- What your child can eat 6 hours prior to surgery: ONLY dry toast may be ingested up to six hours before the scheduled arrival time.
- Your child may brush their teeth, but DO NOT allow them to swallow any liquids.
- Leave all jewelry (including all piercings) and valuables at home. The surgery center is unable to store them and is not responsible for lost or stolen items.
- Be aware that if your child’s condition requires additional care, arrangements will be made to transfer you to a local hospital.
Items to bring the day of surgery:
- Your child’s medical insurance cards.
- Your photo ID.
- If your child has custody paperwork or the legal guardian is someone other than the biological or adoptive parent, documentation will need to be provided prior to the day of surgery. Consents will need to be signed on the day of surgery by the Legal Guardian.
- If your child is a foster child or you have power of attorney, you will need to provide documentation of this upon arrival at the surgery center. This would include any court paperwork issued to you.
- A toy, doll, lovey, or blanket that makes your child feel secure in their surroundings.
- A book or laptop, and a small snack, for yourself, as it is a state requirement that one parent remain on-site at all times while the child is in the facility. Water is available at the center for you.
- Change of clothing and underwear should your child have an accident during anesthesia.
- PLEASE REMEMBER– Do not make any other appointments or obligations the day of your child’s procedure as it takes an average of 4-6 hours to go from admission to discharge.
- PLEASE REMEMBER– Make all arrangements possible to keep any other children at home during the time your child needs to have their procedure. It is often difficult for children to sit in one place.